A former Benedictine monastery was transformed into a prison, became a concentration
camp during WWII. After it’s liberation in 1945 by American troops, it was turned
into a girls’ reformatory in 1955, which was closed in the 1970s and replaced by today’s
psychiatric institution. A memorial museum was established in the 1980s. The film
is a kind of walk through the complex in different times.
The actors recur in each of the different scenes as well, playing different roles each time, and further contributing to the eerie sense of history unwittingly repeating itself. Then film offers complex, misleading, and violent incarnations of German history and culture.
Oona von Maydell
director & screenplay
Clemens von Wedemeyer
DoP & Steadicam